It’s that time of year when thousands do the math: New Year's resolution plus overeating holiday food equals gym membership. No doubt the annual membership offers have already begun arriving in your mailbox.
As if the special seasonal bargain prices aren’t enough, just one look at those photos of already-in-incredible-shape smiling exercisers as they race on the treadmill or tone their six-pack abs is enough to pull us in. Is it any mystery why those of us whose abs are less six-pack and more beer barrel (or couch cushion) dare to dream of our improved bods, and all after just a few gym visits?
While Your Trusted Choice® agent is all in favor of improved health and lifestyle, we also hope you will remember we are all about safety and protection. When it comes to gym memberships and exercise machines, we want to help make sure your results are far more gain than pain. Here are a few tips direct from gym operators and safety experts:
- Be cautious, not careless. Exercise equipment can be complicated and dangerous to operate if precautions are not taken.
- Minimize distractions. Numerous accidents occur because exercisers lose their concentration — while texting, looking for that dropped touch-screen device, or reading a magazine.
- Learn about proper operation of each machine. Look for illustrated directions posted nearby. Better yet, take advantage of a gym assistant or trainer to show you the ropes before beginning your program.
- When working with weights, use the proper amount for your abilities. Never let ego lead you to take on more than you are able, which will result in certain strain or worse.
- Always use spotters when lifting. Ideally, one person should spot each end of the bar — both paying attention to you, not to what is going on in the rest of the gym.
- Wipe down equipment before and after use to minimize chance of infection or disease.
- If an accident occurs, don’t let embarrassment keep you from immediately seeking proper treatment for injury.
A resolution to improve your health is a great way to start your new year. Your Trusted Choice® agent hopes these tips will help make sure that rosy glow arises from endorphins, not pain.